mnmlist: Executive Meeting Minutes 11th March 2013
- Present: Kevin Quigley (KQ), Lee Garland (LG), Brian Parbutt (BP), Maureen Pike (MP), Adam Spencer (AS)
- Apologies: Arun Chopra (AC), Nicolas Redfern (NR)
- Approved previous minutes.
- Final planning re: the 27 Mar Local Election event (‘Priorities for Labour in the County Council Elections 2013’).
– KQ to chair,
– MP & AS to be on the door / encourage membership renewal / joining.
– LG cannot make the 27 Mar, so suggested perhaps: Arun could record the audio, Nicolas could take some photographs (needed to populate the website).
- Apologies from Nicolas, those present were keen for an accounts update at the next meeting
- Next Exec meeting scheduled for w/c 15th April, NR to set date according to his diary, so that we can get an Accounts update.
- LG updated exec on ‘Feminism & One Nation Labour’ event scheduled for 10 May. Ivana Bartoletti & Lilian Greenwood confirmed. Poster designed.
– LG suggested we set up an ‘Eventbrite’ online registration to get an idea of audience numbers. Exec agreed. Other benefits: Eventbrite auto-reminds attendees that the event is approaching. Free to register – event free to members. Non-members £2 on the door.
- All memberships currently expired. In next membership email, members reminded that this year’s membership is due – can pay online via paypal, or in person at the next event/s.
- Exec agreed to move to membership as per financial year, Apr-Apr, on Nicolas’ advice by email. Also, good timing for 27 Mar event renewals/new joiners.
- LG: in the planning of the Feminism event, we have received contact from several people interested in setting up a local Fabian Women’s Network (FWN). LG suggested that the May 10 event may be a good time to launch this. Exec wondered whether Liz might like to take the lead on establishing this – if keen & time/commitments permits. LG to contact Liz. Ivana Bartoletti is keen to expand the FWN out of its hub in London, and is keen to provide speakers/events/support etc to local FWN networks. All agreed this was a good idea.
- FWN has been in touch re: their intake for the 2013 FWN Mentoring scheme. LG will advertise to membership & on website.
- LG: other potential event updates. The Equality Trust can come and speak on the topic of ‘Why Equality if Better for Everyone’, based on Pickett & Wilkinson’s research/book “The Spirit Level”. Though not the authors themselves. KQ suggested a representative from the Equality Trust might work well in a panel format. All agreed to prioritising a big-name speaker event for Autumn.
- LG: big name speaker updates. We have warm leads from the offices of Arnie Graf and Jon Cruddas. LG to keep up contact and endeavour to set date for Autumn.
- KQ: suggest Vernon Coaker another potential speaker we should approach.
– KQ attending the Sheffield conference; will attempt to make contact with potential speakers.
- AOB. None.
– END OF MEETING –